Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The Visa

I have finally got my visa! I have to say that whole procedure wasn't that frustrating like applying for US visa.
First sentence I have read at the very first moment when I started to tackle this agenda was following:
"Entry to Canada is a privilege not a right. If you want to visit Canada, you must meet some established immigration requirements and you may require a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to enter and visit Canada for a temporary period of time."
To the good of the Canadians I wasn't asked questions like
  • Do you seek to enter the United States to engage in export control violations, subversive or terrorist activities, or any other unlawful purpose?
  • Are you a member or representative of a terrorist organization as currently designated by the U.S. Secretary of State?
  • Have you ever participated in persecutions directed by the Nazi government of Germany; or have you ever participated in genocide?
However applying for student visa has some delicatessen as well. E.g. I needed to provide them with up to date police clearance. The other speciality is that you must provide proof that you can afford your studies - proof of financial support. And how can you do that?
  • proof of a Canadian bank account in your name if money has been transferred to Canada;
  • your bank statements for the past four months;
  • a bank draft in convertible currency;
  • proof of payment of tuition and accommodation fees;
There are of course required limits you must meet. You can find out more here if you are interested. I had to choose second possibility.


Nevertheless I consider providing of bank account statements for the past four months for really huge intrusion to my privacy. Especially in this electronic money era when you can find out from the statement really complex information. Not only how much do I make at my job or how much are my calling expenses but even where do I eat or where do I go to cinema.
And what would I do if I didn't have required funds available yet? Or can you prove somehow if you hold some funds in cash?

Hmmm. I guess I'm done with this paranoid thoughts for know :-). I got my visa so I can start second stage of planning my trip - from thinking of where would I like to go to finding out how am I gonna do that.

No comments: