Friday, August 17, 2007

Toronto - Calgary: 3494 km by bus - decided!

After never ending decision-making process I said YES to the most craziest traveling experience I will probably ever have and bought a ticket. I will take a trip from Toronto to Calgary BY BUS. It will take 50 hours and will be 3494 km (2171 miles) long trip. Just for illustration it's as long as round trip from Prague to Moscow and back straight.

Detailed report from the trip here.

It's hard to believe that bus can be more expensive than plane. Compare prices of flight tickets and bus fares below.
The other option I had - which I would prefer the most - was train ViaRail.
But the ticket - more than $500 - crazy! Really cool is the fact that you can even reserve whole room in the train. But for this trip would single room cost more than $1400.


The process of purchasing the ticket was quite complicated as well. Although Greyhound has sophisticated on-line reservation system they accept only Canadian credit cards.
When I read all the instruction I found this statement:

For International Customers
An International credit card can be used for Will Call online ticket purchases. International customers can also purchase their ticket at any Greyhound location upon arrival in the U.S. or Canada. For international customers without toll-free access, please call 214-849-8100 any time between 5:00 a.m. and 1:00 a.m. Central time for fare and schedule information.

I expected that I'll be able to buy ticket via phone but when I called there I found out that the only alternative to Canadian credit card is credit card issued in the United States.
Come on! This is customer service? Why?
I have finally bought the ticket. The service charge for purchase via Sales Agent was $15. They told me that they are faxing the information about the transaction to Toronto and when I arrive there, ticket should be waiting for me. I hope all is gonna be fine.
I didn't get any receipt or written confirmation of transaction. The only information I have is 6 digit confirmation number.

----------------
Now playing: The Killers - Glamorous Indie Rock & Roll
via FoxyTunes

2 comments:

awsome logo design said...

 This is really unbelievable fact to all his fans and recently this was revealed in the interview with the team leader Bullet Bhaskar. Toronto Party Bus

Muhammad Hassan said...

Wow i can say that this is another great article as expected of this blog.Bookmarked this site.. Kitchener Party Bus