Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Where are you heading?



Towards Calgary, originally uploaded by Vlasta.

I'm alive!!! :-)

I have survived the bus ride across Canada. Even more - it wasn't as bad as I expected.
I definitely don't regret choosing bus for this trip. It was really worthy. Although big part of the trip was during the night it allowed me to get notion of how the countryside looks like.
We had a lot of stops and breaks so there was a lot of opportunities for stretching my legs and to eat. Drivers changed during the trip couple times - we had 9 different drivers. Although it was non transfer trip according to a schedule, I had to change once in Winnipeg. But it was great to have some time to take a look around.

Surprising for me was the fact how big mess can people make in the bus. Basically it worked like this: Every time the bus stopped by some fast food, almost all the people rushed inside to grab some food. Most of the breaks were just short ten minute breaks so passengers took all they bought inside the bus. Once they finished they just dropped the garbage on the floor. Despite the fact that garbage bag was next to each seat!
The bus was serviced and cleaned 3 times during the trip. Although the garbage was swept away, floor became soon pretty sticky from all the drinks spilt on the floor. Nasty!
On the other hand I have to say that almost all the people on the bus were nice and very communicative.
I had four different seat mates during the trip. First was jokeful grandpa of Italian ancestry traveling for vacation, other one was Korean student heading to university. Third one was was (just for about 2 hours) weird guy who didn't say any single word except of "May I?" before he sat down. Last one was fresh college student heading to campus. She was indeed extremely talkative.

What to say? It was good experience. At least I know now difference between Korean and Chinese letters. In addition I had both nights no one sitting next to me so I could stretch out comfortably.

When I arrived my buddy was already waiting for me at the bus terminal, gave me a ride to campus and excursion around.

Everything goes well so far...

No comments: