Saturday, August 25, 2007

Bienvenue à Montréal

I've just arrived to the "hotel" and all is fine.

Flight from Prague was delayed a little due to bad weather condition in Paris but fortunately it didn't cause any problems. Even my luggage has arrived OK! :-) Fortunately my luggage was loaded to the aircraft as last in Prague so that they could transport it on time to my connecting flight in Paris (see the picture).

Flight was OK, I arrived to Montreal on time. However I had to wait the longest line I've ever seen on the arrival. It took me 2 hours wait just to get to the customs. I had to go then to Immigration and Citizenship office to have issued my study permit. It took another hour.

After 3 hours waiting I finally picked up my luggage and took Aerobus to downtown Montreal. Because it was already 10 PM and I left information about 9 PM late arrival when booking the hostel, I rather took a cab to place where I stay. Although it was just 1 km away I really didn't want to walk it with all my stuff. And more, I wanted to try what taxi services do they provide here.

I had probably a bad luck for a driver. He didn't speak English - I would accept that but maybe he didn't even speak French. What is for sure he didn't know the city at all and even couldn't read a map. Kind of funny. He was totally lost on 1km trip and fare meter started to show pretty unpleasant price when we were rambling around. After I protested and told him off, he stopped the meter. After a while started the meter again. I resigned arguing with him, but when we finally arrived to my place I gave him much less than was metered. After I told him that I have noted his concession number and that I'm gonna complain and call Bureau du taxi (fortunately the sticker with phone number was in the cab) he agreed to price I suggested and left. I don't know what to think about it - if he did it on purpose or was really that dummy.

My accommodation is a real backpackers place. First impression was sth. like OMG! But I hope I'll get over it. It's a great atmosphere over here - place is full of young travellers right now some guys are playing a guitar next to me.

I went to take a look around and first impression is great. I am in the very center - part called Vieux-Montréal (Old Montreal). Streets are full of people - all around are clubs, bars and restaurants. I didn't know that place with so European atmosphere is in North America. It's like walking in old neighbourhoods of Paris.

To be continued...

No comments: